“What do you do to attract new clients?” I’ve heard that question so many times. It’s the wrong question but people are looking for a simple fix to attract new clients. They want me to give them a magic bullet like “use social media”, “get publicity” or “land a speaking engagement”…
There are no magic bullets in marketing – the truth is it’s hard work. So the right question would be, “How do you attract new clients?”
It’s not enough to know what you need to do but how you need to do it. For example, public speaking is one of my favorite marketing tactics but it requires a well-thought-out strategy in order to work. Getting the speaking gig is only step one. Unfortunately, that’s the only part of the strategy most people worry about because they think that’s it.
Landing a speaking engagement with a room full of ideal leads becomes just a wasted opportunity if you don’t have a strategy to convert them into clients. You need to give them a specific call to action that will motivate them to want to work with you.
Let me share the strategies I used during my recent presentation for AICI in Sydney to attract new clients to work with me. These are the strategies you’ll want to integrate into your speaking engagement marketing plan:
- Find the right upsell. You want to determine what makes the most sense for this particular audience. Are they high-level professionals who could benefit from an in-person VIP day? Are they located throughout the country and would appreciate an online consultation? I decided to take advantage of the fact that my ideal clients we’re already there with me in Sydney, Australia. So my upsell was to a bonus session the following day that would provide deeper learning on what we had covered in my presentation.
- Find a marketing message that resonates. I know everyone of us is afraid we might fail in our business. There are unspoken fears of running a highly successful business so I made sure my marketing addressed that issue and ensured them that my bonus day would give them the tools they needed to succeed. Speak from the heart to the heart!
- Begin marketing ahead of time. If you have the names and emails of attendees you can promote your upsell before you even give your presentation. I sent out email launches and social media blasts prior to my bonus day to create some anticipation. If you have an ezine let your list know about your upcoming presentation and upsell opportunity. Even if they’re not attending they may not want to miss out on what you have to offer!
- Create a compelling sales page. You don’t want to sell them on something and then not give them a way to sign-up! Don’t just say contact me to learn more, take the time to write a sales page specifically to the person who will benefit from this day. Describe the deliverables but more importantly share the ultimate outcome you promise.
- Sell on stage. The best way to upsell is to deliver great content in a well-designed presentation. Throughout you can subtly seed your upsell without being pushy. In Sydney, during my presentation I provided meaty content on marketing and branding but obviously there was more to learn that I couldn’t cover in just one session. So I let my audience know there was still time to sign up for deeper learning in my bonus session the next day. Focus on benefits throughout your presentation. When they clearly see the benefit of what you’ve already taught them, they’ll be hungry for more.
- Make sure to build your list. No matter how well you upsell your offer, you’re not going to get a 100% conversion. That’s why it’s important to make sure you get your audience onto your list so you can continue to build the relationship with them. The best way to do this is to offer some kind of free incentive, an audio training or free report, you provide to everyone who signs-up.
From my experience, a well-executed speaking strategy consistently attracts new clients. If you’re serious about growing your business, you need to stop looking for a magic bullet and take the time to master marketing strategies. It won’t happen overnight, but as you implement you’ll see what works and what doesn’t and can refine your process to get predictable results.
Predictable Results™ Assignment
Determine which marketing strategy you need to implement in your business to attract more clients. Take time to brainstorm the steps involved in implementing your strategy. Pay careful attention to what works so you can refine your process to give yourself predictable results.
As a pioneering and visionary innovator, Sarah is a certified professional image consultant and brand strategist, speaker, trainer and author. Her company, Illustra Business Coaching, provides leading-edge business building strategies for small business owners & entrepreneurs who wish to take their company to the next level.
Illustra Business Coaching
Copyright © 2015, Sarah Hathorn, AICI CIM, CPBS
1-800-267-3245, [email protected]
This article may be reproduced only in it’s entirety, including the above bio.